Sam In The City

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Sambo The Clown

Okay, so I am in the perfect profession for being very excited about Halloween! Not only am I a teacher, but I'm a Kindergarten teacher, which means I get act like I'm five years old all day long! ;)

So after searching for the perfect, yet inexpensive costume, I decided on being a clown. Now I haven't been a clown since I was about five years old myself, so it feels like a new costume to me. I originally wanted to be Dorothy, but it would've cost me $45.00 to be the scarecrow's heart throb. Anywho, my only fear is this-what if one of my students if afraid of clowns?? I'm not gonna be like the clown from the movie "IT", but nevertheless, some people, kids and adults included, are afraid of clowns. Take the lady at Factory Card Outlet last week who rung up my costume at the register. She is so scared of clowns, that when I approached the register she called another cashier to the front to ring me up. She stood to the side the entire time and called my clown jumpsuit a smiley costume. I'm not gonna lie, it made me second guess my costume decision, but not enough to put it back. Besides the fact that the clown gig was reasonably priced, a lot of other costumes were slutty! I mean, I know Halloween can be a time to get a little crazy, and for some, a justification to dress like a hoe, but what about the rest of us, huh? If you can't afford a $45.00 Halloween costume or go to work the next day dressed as a sexy nurse or naughty devil woman, I guess the clown jumpsuit is the best route to go. I'm just wonderin' how hard it will be to use the bathroom tomorrow! ;) I am really excited to dress up though and I know the kids will get a kick out of me going all out. I have a few parents coming in to help me run some games and my classroom has been decked out with decorations for about three weeks now.

As I'm into my 2nd year of teaching, I'm really starting to realize how quickly time goes by. Everything is outlined by seasonal holidays set as beginning and end points. August is Back to School, time to get ready and decorate the classroom. Ocotber is Halloween, time to get ready and decorate, December is Christmas madness...and the cycles continue. In the midst of all the holiday madness, we teachers continue to help shape the minds of America's youth and set some time aside for family and friends and a few cocktails. I'm not complaining by any means though, because I truly, genuinely love what I do. A good teacher friend of mine once told me that teachers don't have only good or bad days, they move from one minute to the next. Anyway, where am I going with all of this? Well, I'll wake up tomorrow morning and put on my clown jumpsuit, wig, red nose and try to teach my students with a straight face! ;) Then after school, I'll tear down all my Halloween decorations and prepare for the Thanksgiving holiday. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Frema said…

    Watch today be the day where your car dies and not start again, so that you have to walk down 63rd Street in your costume. Let's see how many people honk at you then!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Sambo V. said…

    Hmmm...too bad that Dan has been driving me to and from work EVERYDAY because my car hates me.... :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home