Sam In The City

Thursday, October 27, 2005

When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong...


I love the saying, "Keepin' it real". Whenever I'm with a close friend or loved one and a controversial or questionable comment or action arises, I like to share my Keepin' it real 101 advice! ;) If you watch The Chappelle Show, you can appreciate that. ;) Basically it means you tell it like it is.

So anywho, today Dan came to walk back with me from my aerobics class and I was all pumped and excited about a great workout. Dan had brought a dollar so we could stop to get a few more newspapers with the awesome Sox headlines. I want to laminate the 1st page of one paper and hang it in my classroom and then keep the other copy to show my kids one day. We went to 7-11 after discovering that Wal-Greens was flat out. I bought 2 copies of the Chicago Tribune because my favorite paper, The Sun-Times was out. Anywho, as I'm walking out of 7-11, Dan's lagging behind looking at some magazines and this lady in I'd say her early 50's asks me why I bought 2 copies of the paper. I excitedly said, "GO WHITE SOX!" And then explained to her about my plans to laminate one copy and then keep the other one to show my future muchachos. So she tells me, "You really think the Sox won the series fair and square?" I said, "Well yes, because they did." Then I asked her if she was a Sox fan and when she said adamantly said, "NO", I told her that's why she didn't believe they deserved it and of course a Sox fan would not agree to their awesome winning streak. Then she starts talking about some bad calls that were made in the earlier games and asks me if I watched them. I was very proud to say yes, and tell her that there were quite a few calls made in the Sox favor and against them in those games. Pyscho lady, who has now been drilling me for a solid three minutes, tells me that I just don't get it and then asks me how old I am. I opened the 7-11 door and yelled, "Dan..." as I mustered a fake, confused smile at this lady. So just for shits and giggles, I continue on this conversation with the anti-Sox woman and she smirks and looks reassured with her points after I tell her I'm 23 years old. This encounter gets increasingly weirder when Dan walks out of 7-11 just as this lady asks me if I know how Michael Jordan's father died. When I told her that his death didn't relate the Sox winning, she snapped back saying, "Forget baseball for a minute!" I was like...hmmm, and looked back at Dan as I uneasily said, "Wasn't he murdered?" Dan agrees and then this woman turns into crazy CSI anti-Sox be-otch!! She starts going into this whole theory that Michael Jordan's dad was killed by the mob because of money and they killed his dad because he went to all of his games, not Michael's mom. She makes it a point to say that they killed Michael Jordan's dad because they knew he was closer to him than than his mom. Then she proceeded to say that someone paid someone else off to have the Sox win this and if I just looked at sports history, I would understand because it's all about money.

Okay, so at this point I was talking to CSI anti-Sox fan for about a good five to seven minutes. (At least it felt like it!) I decided that I'd had enough of this weird conversation and Dan and I start walking away, as I half-way turned around and told her to have a good night and take care. Can you believe that she starts walking too, only a few steps behind us, STILL mumbling about her crazy mob related sports suspicions. Dan and I cross the street and pick up our pace, as he says to me, "Yea, I don't wanna get stabbed tonight Sam." What a bizarre walk back from aerobics...all I wanted was a few newspapers as a remembrance of the Sox's awesomeness last night.

When keepin' it real goes wrong, you realize what you
could've done to prevent the unexpected situation. You see I kept it real by openly proclaiming my love for the Sox and continually defending their legitimate win last night. What should I have done? Well I shouldv'e walked right past this CSI anti-Sox fan be-otch with my newspapers to avoid any unanticipated encounters.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Frema said…

    You should have told her the Sox were just keepin' it real. Or that God came to you in a dream to reassure you and the world that their win was legit.

    I bet this woman lives at home with six cats and owns eight handmade bathrobes, in a variety of colors and patterns.

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Luke said…

    Nope, I bet all those bathrobes are red and blue with a big C on their backs. She probably shaves the cats, too.

     
  • At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sam,

    Don't let people bring you down. Some times they always have their right answer. Stay real and thereby also happy.

    Daddy D.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home