Sam In The City

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Soccer Mom

For the last couple of weeks, a few students in my class who play soccer have been asking me to go to one of their games. Jack told me that their game was at 7:00p.m., but that I should leave about 6:30p.m. to get a parking spot. I told the students that unless my car wasn't working, I'd be there.

Yesterday was a very busy day for me. After work I was on the prowl looking for Wedding Shower invitations for Breain and Luke. There wasn't much of a variety at the two places I checked, so I'm going to look at couple of other places. As of now, my mother and I plan on hand writing the invitations, because she believes it adds more of a personal touch. ;) After the invitation search, I picked up Dan's Valentine's Day gift and headed home. When I got home, I had to fill out a social security name change form and call the social security office to ask a few questions. By the time that dreaded task was completed, it was nearing close to the time of my student's soccer game and I was not in the mood to go. I thought about ditching it and then telling them that my car was not working. Even my students know how ghetto fabulous my Buick is, so of course they would have bought it. Then I started thinking about how disappointed they would be if I didn't show, so I decided to go.

I left early, just as little Jack suggested so I could get a good parking spot. In fact, I left so early that I even had time to stop and get coffee and a big fat blueberry muffin from Dunkin Donuts. Thanks to Jack, I had a great spot and was still about twenty minutes early for their 1/2 hour soccer game. I sat in the gym waiting for the students in my class to arrive for their big game. When Luis, my little Mexican Simon Birch entered the gym and saw me, he sprinted toward me with the cutest, cheesiest smile I'd ever seen him wear. ;) That alone was worth coming to their game. When the two other students in my class arrived they were really excited and a little shy about me being there. I cheered and yelled for the mini-soccer players like I was at a Sox game. It was hysterical watching Luis play. He is a very tiny child, with a large head and little glasses that really magnify his eyes. Everytime the ball came at him, he either backed away from it, wasn't paying attention or was talking to his dad, complaining about how hot he was. Nevertheless, the team did well and the students really did try their best. Unfortunately, they still lost and did not score one goal. When I told Luis that I was proud of how the team played and I would share the exciting soccer news with the class, he was beaming! ;)

This morning I bragged about how well the students played and their smiling faces were priceless. Today alone I've been invited to at least three other student's games. It does feel good to be wanted though and I'm glad my students like me enough to want to see me when the school day is over. I tell ya, I'm going to be one busy soccer mom and I don't even have any kids. ;)

4 Comments:

  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Frema said…

    What a wonderful thing you're doing for them. Twenty years from now, they're going to remember that Mrs. V was at their sports games. Not even all parents make it a point to go to their kids' games. They are lucky children.

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Luke said…

    Careful, Sambo. You'll have to buy a minivan then.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger butterflygirl said…

    Glad to see a post. It's fun to watch little kids play. I love watching my son in his pre-school sports.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger Kayte Marie said…

    You are such an AMAZING teacher Sam! I hope that when I have kids they are blessed enough to have a teacher like you. :) And since I don't have your email I have some side news, Maggie Schaum got engaged she told me today - thought you would like to know!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home