Sam In The City

Monday, November 28, 2005

Job Application or Psychoanalysis??

The day started off with me hitting snooze from 6:05a.m. to 6:25a.m. when I finally dragged my tired butt out of bed. Dan and I were up late talking last night and didn't go to bed until almost one, which is pretty late for the both of us. Thank God for coffee and french vanilla cream! My students were pretty well behaved, which was great, especially considering it was their first day back after Thanksgiving break. I felt so bad for them though because today their lunches were an hour and fifteen minutes late! They kept complaining they were hungry and wanted to eat. :( One of my students said, "Mrs. Villa, but I brought my lunch. Can't I just eat it now because I'm so hungry." I had to remind Elizabeth that it's rude to eat in front of others who have no food. Poor little Elizabeth's bottom lip curled and she hungrily went back to her seat. When the lunches actually arrived, you could've heard a pin drop in that class!

Not only was lunch late, but Music was cancelled too. We normally go later in the week, but the music teacher rescheduled our time for today so we could practice for our big Christmas Show next week. Both Kindergarten classes are singing, "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth". They're as cute as you probably think they are! :) Anyway, I was really mad about Music being cancelled because I was not informed until the students were getting ready for Music in the afternoon. Another teacher came in my room to make sure I heard the news, which I obviously hadn't. It really frosts my cookies that the teachers are so poorly informed and that people think we don't plan our day around scheduled activities.

Anywho, so today I applied for a job at a Dollar Tree store very close by my apartment. Dan and I won't be performing on the street for quarters anytime soon, but a second job would definitely help us move forward financially in saving to buy a house. Dan is also going to apply for a second job at some local gaming stores. I just wanted something nearby so I could walk to work and not worry about getting home too late. But that Dollar Tree application was like a frickin' psychology test! After asking me a million and one times where I live and if I've ever committed a felony, there was a questionnaire with about ninety-six weird statements I had to respond to. There were only a few statements on each page, and there were twenty-four pages! I had to apply on the computer in the store, which was dated back to the early 90's and worked as poorly as Carnie Wilson's natural attempts at dieting. I tried to remember a lot of the statements so I could share how ridiculous they are with you. I couldn't believe how long the questionnaire took me to do. A lot of the questions were repeated and just restated, so the same things were being asked over and over again.

Anyway, here are some examples of the questions/statements I had to respond to.
(All responses had to be answered with Strongly Agree, Agree, Strongly Disagree, Disagree)
1. You feel like it is hard to be optimistic all the time.
2. You have few or no close friends.
3. You care what other people think about you.
4. You take breaks when working on a long project.
5. You often start projects and do not finish them.
6. You always finish the projects that you start.
7. Are you finished causing trouble? (yea...)
8. You always think about other people's feelings.
9. You call in sick if you are a little sick. (Now honestly, in applying for a job, you have to wonder what moron what put Strongly Agree or Agree.)
10.When you are finished with one project, you immediately move on to the next.
11.When someone hurts you, you want to hurt them back.
12.You deserve more than you have. (why is this relevant??)
13.You have done things in the past that you regret.
14.You have few or no friends that you have made at work.

Those were just of the statements that I can actually remember. It's fine that the people in charge of hiring want a little insight on future employees, but honestly, that application was a load of crap. If, now that's an if I get hired, then I'm sure that questionnaire with just play a HUGE role in my job as a cashier at the Dollar Tree. I wish I could remember some more of those statements, because the ones I do remember were actually kinda normal in comparison to the other seventy something odd ones. Regardless, I really do hope I get this job. The extra money would be great and it is only about five blocks from our apartment. Wish me luck! :)

In other news, Dan and I joined a gym today! This gym just opened up a few weeks ago and is right by the Dollar Tree. We got a really good membership price because we were among the first one-hundred members to join! :) I'll let you know how my first workout there goes tomorrow. Have a great evening. :)

5 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger Luke said…

    Good luck!

    I hope that nothing else frosts your cookies.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Marie said…

    Hey there! Thanks for stumbling across my blog and leaving a comment. :) I thought I'd come by and visit.

    That questionnaire is a trip...very interesting and odd statements to respond to. Good luck with the new gym membership and work out tomorrow!

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Frema said…

    I had to do the same kind of thing when I worked for Waldenbooks. I think they're just trying to find out if you want to kill yourself or hurt little puppies. Crazy!

    Anyway, I feel you on the money thing, sister. Good luck and love you lots.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Sambo V. said…

    Sorry to disappoint you Brooke, it's the one you already know about. :( I still have your apple pie!

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Kayte Marie said…

    So reading Frema's blog I came across a few of your wedding pictures... oh Sammy.. gorgeous is the only word I have at the moment. I don't cry 1/2 as much as I used to but I can tell you pictures of you in that dress had tears running down my face. I would love to see more. How amazing & how happy you look babe. I couldn't be happier for you!!!
    Love
    Me

     

Post a Comment

<< Home