Sam In The City

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Too Close For Comfort

Flight 1248 from Baltimore has slid off the runway into a fence on 55th and Central at Midway Airport. The 98 passengers on the flight have been reported to be shaken, but safe and four people that were on the street are reported as critically injured.

I got home before Dan and decided to surprise him with his favorite tuna casserole dinner when he came home from tutoring at about 7:15p.m. When he wasn't home at 7:30p.m. I called him to see where he was and what was going on. At this point I had no idea about the plane skidding off the runway, I was just worried about him driving in the snow. A few minutes after I called Dan, he called me back to tell me to turn on the news because a plane skidded off the runway at Midway and into the street. Dan's dad called to let him know about it so he didn't take Central home after tutoring. Dan was late from leaving work because he was talking to some other teachers after class and doing some school work. If he would have left on time then maybe he would have been a car on the street when the plane skidded into the street. Dan and I both take Central all the time, and it really psychs me out that one of us could have been hit by that plane. I stayed after work late for a class I'm taking at school, and a colleague drove me home. I normally take Central home, but my colleague friend took a different route today, and we had no idea about the horrible accident. I'm so grateful that Dan is okay. We got into an arguement before he dropped me off at work this morning over something stupid, but before I left the car we kissed and made up. I'm so thankful we made up and that he is okay. This plane accident got me a little sentimental and I just want Dan to be home now.

Those people on the plane and on the street must have been so scared!! I'm still waiting for him to come home so I can attack him with a huge bear hug. Several very busy Chicago streets are closed due to the accident, so it's taking him a long time to get home. Dan said he's driving 10 miles an hour right now and cops are helping to redirect traffic away from the closed street. Dan said there's cops everywhere and just a bunch of flashing lights. I just called him and he said traffic is understandably ridiculous.

Well, I'm going to continue to watch the news and wait for my husband to walk through the door. Be careful driving if you decide to venture out and God bless you!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Frema said…

    This is so scary! I'm so glad both of you are OK. You never think about these kinds of things happening so close to home.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Luke said…

    That is way too scary. I'm glad that Dan made it home safe and sound.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brooke and I were stuck in traffic for 3 hours. We had no Idea what was going on until John called The cell Phone.We decided to venture out to get some food in the house. Thank god we all made it home safe.
    John was working and got to see it up close and he said it was something else.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Sambo V. said…

    Craziness! As of Friday morning and night, the plane was still in the middle of the street! I'm glad you're safe auntie!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home